Family Activities to Do During COVID-19 – From the Ohio Department of Health
There are so many things you can during this time at home…you are only limited to your imagination!
Get outside and play!
- Take a nature walk at one of the 75 Ohio State Parks. Check the Ohio Department of Natural Resources website for more information.
- Join your children outside for a game of hide and seek, kick the can, or a scavenger hunt around the neighborhood.
- Take your dog for a walk or visit the local playground.
- Start planning your summer garden!
- Go for a jog!
- Create an obstacle course with toys and games from your garage.
Explore More Indoors!
- Have a local library card? Many local libraries, including the Ohio Digital Library,allow you to check out and download ebooks! Read aloud to each other, read silently, or take turns reading to each other.
- Start a virtual book club! Choose a book and start an online chat with your friends. The State Library of Ohio, Ohioana Library Association and Ohio Center for the Book recommend these 20 books by Ohio authors.
- Play games indoors! Games for younger children include Simon Says, Duck Duck Goose, or Follow the Leader. Older children can play “I Spy,” charades, indoor bowling, or make up new games.
- Try a new recipe or make dinner as a family; find recipes and tips for cook with children safely on the Cooking with Kids webpage.
- Read a chapter book together and discuss the characters and plot and ask questions to encourage critical thinking. Visit the Ohio Department of Education’s Family and Community Support Toolbox to find ideas to keep the reading excitement going.
- Pop some popcorn and cuddle up for a movie marathon.
- Turn up the volume and have a family dance party!
- Make a scrapbook of souvenirs from a previous vacation.
- Get the creativity flowing! Give your kids art supplies such as crayons, colored pencils, markers, or paints to create show pieces for your home. Put the artwork on your fridge or hang them around your house and host your very own art show.
- Can’t get to the gym? Try an online workout or virtual yoga instruction! Or get the family together to make up your own workout or dance routines.
- Give everyone a task and get a jump on spring cleaning!
- Wish you were at the spa? Take a bubble bath and follow it up with a home manicure or pedicure.
- Family game night! Hold a Monopoly tournament or take that puzzle off the shelf.
- Learn about Ohio’s rich history from the Ohio History Connection at Ohiohistory.org/learn.
- What do you want do when you grow up? Students of all ages can start exploring careers, play games, watch videos, and more at OhioMeansJobs.com.
- Challenge yourself with computer games at PBS Kids.
- Are your children missing their school friends or other family members? Set up a virtual playdate with their friends or connect with family members living afar via video chat.
- Explore Ohio virtually and learn more about places you could visit in the future at Ohio.org.
- Set aside time each day to engage children with free, hands-on learning activities that foster creativity at www.InfOhio.org.
- Search Youtube for video tutorials on how to draw, learn a foreign language, or how to make those repairs you have been putting off!
For additional information, visit coronavirus.ohio.gov.
For answers to your COVID-19 questions, call 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634).
American Academy of Pediatrics: https://healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/chest-lungs/Pages/2019- Novel-Coronavirus.aspx